Hi Godly Play Teachers! Welcome to our lesson for June 21, the Parable of the Good Samaritan.
Here are some wondering questions. I'd love to share the children's
responses in our weekly newsletter. Thank you for writing down their
1. I wonder who is the neighbor to the person who was hurt, had
everything taken from him, and was left by the side of the road half
2. I wonder what would happen if the person finding the injured traveler were a child?
3. I wonder what it means to be a neighbor.
4. I wonder if you've ever had anyone be a neighbor to you like this Samaritan was to the hurt man.
5. I wonder if you've ever been the one who was the Good Samaritan?
Idea Sparkers for our Gift to God Time
Here are some ideas for the parable itself:
1. Children make get well cards as a way to help others, like the Good Samaritan in the story
2. Children act out the story. (My camera will be in its usual place and
takes pretty good video. Please use it!)
3. Children could make a collage or drawing on who is our neighbor.
4. Children could make a collage or drawing on How I Can Be a Good Samaritan.
5. You could also go with the What Would Jesus Do theme. Make a bracelet
with WWJD, or a mural of the story, or act out scenes of different
conflicts and ask the question, "What would Jesus do?"
6. If you've visited the Good Samaritan statue, why not ask the children
if they'd like to try to make their own with play dough or quick dry