Hi Godly Play Teachers!
Welcome to the story of King David, the Godly Play story scheduled for this
Sunday, October 20, based on 1 Samuel 16-31, 2 Samuel and 1Kings 1-2. You can find the script for
the story in the pink Enrichment Presentations for Fall book, p.78-85.
Some of the story's themes which you might want to help the children think about:
1. We can come to God with all sorts of feelings (as in the Psalms---we'll explore this one more next week)
2.God can help us be brave enough to do what is right and needed.
3. Friendship is a gift from God.
4. God uses people, even with their faults.
5. God forgives our mistakes when we ask for forgiveness.
Ideas for the Make a Gift for God Time:
1. Children could reproduce the elements of the story in some way.
* Make a harp
*Make a crown for King David
*Make an ark of the covenant
*Make a parable box for the parable that Nathan told David (there is plenty of felt in the resource room)
*Make a drawing of Jerusalem- or a watercolor.
2. Children could paint symbols of David's life (shepherd's crook,
bottle of incense, two friends, crown, ark, etc) on small stones. There
are stones in the resource room.
3. Children can celebrate David's childhood by making David with the sheep. Go to the site here, for plenty of options for crafting sheep. (Scroll down to "sheep")
4. Children could sculpt a David and Goliath out of play clay.
5. The class could work on a mural of David's life with one long piece
of butcher paper- assigning parts of his life to individual children to
I hope these ideas help!