Hi Godly Play Teachers! Welcome to our lesson for June 7, the story of Paul's Discovery.
What a rich story of Saul/Paul, from
birth to death! You'll find the script in the yellow (Spring) book
p.126-135. The wondering questions are listed at the end.
Idea Sparkers for our Gift to God Time:
(And Check out other ideas at this pinterest site!)
Paul's life is so exciting. It would be fun to divide up the group and
have the children act out scenes. Even our youngest kids could do it!
Scenes they may choose to act out:
1. Making tents with his father (bring a sheet from home and drape it over a table or rope) Pretend to hammer down stakes.
2. Waving goodbye to his family and traveling to Jerusalem (bring a suitcase)
3. Worshiping in the temple (Gather candlesticks, make a big scroll to read)
4. Saul trying to catch people who followed Jesus to bring them back for punishment.
5. Saul's experience on the road to Damascus. (Maybe bring a lamp for a great light. )
Act out being led to Damascus and staying in the house, where the scales fall from his eyes.
Saul's telling the good news of his transformation at the synagogue and
then how Jesus' followers hid him when people grew angry.
7.Paul's escape over the city wall in a basket. (A laundry basket and rope would be perfect for this!)
8. Paul's traveling and writing letters.
9. Paul kept as a prisoner in his own house.
Let the children work in pairs or alone to illustrate their favorite
scene from the story. Have an "art show" at the end to look at
everyone's work and put the works in chronological order.
Examine the scrolls to see which books of the Bible do we think Paul
wrote. Children could make bookmarks for their Bibles illustrated with
scenes from Paul's life.